Impatient but also creative and over-connected, these are the words that define milleniums’, these young people were born between 1980 and 1995. Today they represent nearly 40% of the working population. A real challenge for managers, who have to adapt their behavior and values. Here are some tips to manage milleniums’ correctly.
- The hierarchy does not impress them. What they want is to have fun working together, to share expertise and objectives. Promote project work, choose managers who work with empathy rather than authority.
- Give them an adventure, with an individual career, and rewards rather than promises. Try to have often dialog with them, the annual evaluation interview is insufficient. A mobile application that allowed them to exchanges can therefore be relatively appreciated by this generation, Roadoo Network is made for this.
- Understand how they are different from their elders. Adapt the speech: more direct, more concrete, more pragmatic.
- Debrief. Rate. Give some progress and consider their remarks: they give you another look at your practices and are a source of innovation.
- A millenium wants to progress, to improve its skills and its vision of the company allows it to progress. Inform it about your projects, include it … Otherwise, you risk losing it. Know that a millenium is always in search of personal fulfillment. It can not bring himself to be bored.
To conclude: managing milleniums’ in 5 points :
- Be direct with them
- Give them challenges to involve them in the company’s vision
- Use storytelling to capture their attention
- Be flexible on work’s hours, focus on results